Research Farm Associate
Full Time Position
Who we are:
We are veterinary practice that specializes in calves and cattle. Our clients produce dairy & dairy cross feeder calves, dairy replacement heifers, and dairy & beef fat cattle. We focus on preventative medicine through design of vaccine protocols, diagnostic services, management consultation, contract research and development, as well as providing the supplies necessary for our clients to be successful and profitable. With this specialty comes the ability to perform contract research. The Contract research allow us to be on the forefront of cattle health technology. We provide other organizations samples and data to their specifications.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for an individual to become a member of our Research Farm staff to aid in animal husbandry. The ideal candidate has a strong ability to work independently with little to no direction. This person will also need to be able to collaborate as part of a team. They will need to have a flexible schedule as duties will include working weekends, evenings, holidays, and special situations as required. Days off during the week will be provided when the weekend and holidays are worked, when possible.
Duties, may include but not limited to:
- Be at work on time on scheduled days ready to contribute.
- Follow CalfCare Biosecurity Policy.
- Follow CalfCare Animal Welfare Policy.
- Follow CalfCare safety policies and procedures.
- Perform Animal husbandry tasks including feeding calves, mixing milk replacer, assuring fresh water is available to all animals, caring for sick animals and reporting problems to the veterinarian.
- Administer feed supplements and medications as directed using precision measuring instruments.
- Keep detailed records.
- Build, set up, tear down, and repair new and existing fences, hutches, and paneling.
- Monitor animal health of all animals under care. Report any issues or concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Clean barns, equipment, hutches, feeding equipment such as milk mixer, bottles and bottle nipples.
- Weigh, load, mix, and distribute feed and milk.
- Add to or replace bedding in hutches and pens.
- Operate a skid loader to clean the barn yard, pile the barn bedding and prepare for the next group.
- Assist in sample collection and animal processing, when necessary.
- Rotate responsibilities with staff for morning chores starting at 6:30 A.M. & evening chores starting at 4:30 P.M.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor
- Ability to multitask and work variable hours.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and animal handing skills.
- Skid loader operation preferred or willing to be trained on how to safely operate loader.
- Ability to multitask, self-motivated, and independent.
- Livestock Farm or Veterinary practice experience preferred.
- Must be able to stand and move for the majority of the shift.
- Lift weights up to 50lbs on a regular basis. Periodically lift weighs in excess of 50lbs, with assistance.
High school diploma or equivalent (Required) or Associate degree or higher (Preferred)
CalfCare is located in North Manchester, Indiana. We are 45 minutes from Fort Wayne and 2 hours from Indianapolis. North Manchester and surrounding areas are rural yet home to several universities. You can have the small-town atmosphere with local attractions and be just a short drive from larger cities with the many attractions they host.
If calves and the people who raise them are your passion, please submit a cover letter and résumé or CV.